Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the maryland dynasty.




"if Gary Williams recruited in PG County, the Terps would have two rings" - anonymous

In recent years college basketball has been on the forefront of sports entertainment. From Florida's consecutive national championships to all four #1 seeds playing in the Final Four in this years past tourney, college basketball is at an all-time high. But if look far down off of 495, the Maryland Terrapins are suffering from another lack luster season. Even with Gist, Osby and Grieves the Terps still couldn't go dancing. I believe that in college basketball, the coaches should be accounted for coaching methods and recruitng methods. Which brings me to my subject of Gary Williams and his style. Over the past few years the metro area has seen some ridiculous talent fly through and above and out the area. This list includes freshmen phenom Michael Beasley from K St and last years freshmen sensation and this years NBA Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant, just to name a few. My question is why isn't Williams recruiting within his own territory. In the year, LSU shared a piece of the national championship in football, half the team was from Louisiana. I just don't see why Williams doesn't do the same. Through the years I can think back I can only recall ONE terp to get significant minutes and be from the area-Chris McCray. McCray came from Fairmont Heights and lit my alma mater (DuVal) up for 34 points in a playoff game in his senior season. McCray was part of the last decent and somewhat good Terp team with him, Caner-Medley, Gilchrist and such. But due to players leaving early, the team would go through a dry spell and die out to become mediocre in its present day. All I want is Williams to take a look at some of the hungry and raw talent that comes from these parts. I can not stand to see anymore talent from this area play in any other color than Terrapin Red.

Complete list..

F - Michael Beasley - DC - Kansas St.
F - Kevin Durant - PG - Texas
F - Jeff Green - PG - GTown
C - Roy Hibbert - Mo Co - GTown
G - Tywan Lawson - DC - UNC
G - Sam Young - PG - Pitt
G - Nolan Smith - PG - Duke

o well.

And by the way, I love my terps. They play hard and work hard. I appreciate any player to ever put on the Terrapin Red.

T E R P S!

i-n.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i feel the same damn way...Maryland is the home-team and should recruit from home. dont forget delonte west(E.roosevelt) PG for the cavs.